Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Keep Doing Whatever You're Doing!"

In yesterday's post, I shared the conversations between "G" and other members of our group, including "C" and "A" plus my own contribution to the exchanges.

This morning, "G" wrote an astonishing followup to his previous report on his father's condition, entitled "Better Update":

Dear Friends:

I am writing to say thank You for all of your profound responses and you of your prayers. I am not sure what is responsible for the positive result with my father's health. There's been an important shift in the situation. Today we found out that we will have access to a visiting nurse and a consulting doctor. My father suddenly began taking water & other fluids. Than he suddenly began to reveal his feelings about what is going on with him both physically and emotionally. Normally he is locked up tighter Fort Knox. However, with this information, I am able to address his rea lconcerns for a change. Then for the 1st time since Saturday, he ate some mashed potatoes.

Ya'll keep doing what you're doing. I will work on staying positive. As so many of you said to me, one foot in front of the other.

Staying present.
G

What I have learned by experiencing my journey with my own husband and my mother, whatever our loved ones are going through is also an invitation for us to face them and their struggles with equanimity: without judgment. With presence.

As I had said to "G" earlier yesterday, miracles happen when we can become fully present to the moment right in front of our faces: with our presence, we open an energetic and emotional space for everyone to expand into possibilities we cannot see when we are engaged with anger and fear and insistence that the situation be something other than what it is.

G's father was able to express himself emotionally in a new way; and he was able to ask for mashed potatoes!

With blessings and with love
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment